Wednesday, February 18, 2009

NOT SLEEPING & ANXIETY

I AM LOOKING TO YOU MOTHERS OUT THERE WITH MORE THAN ONE CHILD. HOW DID YOUR OLDEST HANDLE THE TRANSITION OF BRINGING HOME A NEW BABY. SCOTT'S WHOLE FAMILY ON SUNDAY WAS LIKE YOU POOR LITTLE THING, PARKER. I TRIED TO EXPLAIN TO THEM THAT IT IS ALL IN THE WAY IT IS DONE. ANY TIPS FOR A MOM EXPECTING HER SECOND CHILD??? I WANT TO MAKE THIS AS EASY FOR MY LITTLE DARLING AS POSSIBLE. I DON'T WANT HIM TO FEEL LEFT OUT OR REPLACED FOR ONE SECOND...

5 comments:

The Chastain's said...

It is a blessing that you are giving him a sibling to play with and love!!! You will be fine, I promise! If I can do it, you know you can!!!

Amber said...

The best advice I got was Brad went and got Laci to meet Megan. He went and got her and let her be the first to see. When she walked into the hospital room they told me to leave Megan in her bassinet so Laci would not freak out with me holding another baby! She got to hug me first and then she said..."where's my sister." It was her idea then. It was already strange for her to see me in a hospital bed and sleeping so much (the drugs:) So, she was so excited to get to sit on the bed with mommy and hug me and see that I was okay!!! Other than that it was an easy transition...Parker will do great!

Lindsey Cobb said...

We did the same as Amber with letting Presley be the first to see me and the baby. She thought that was really special! Bringing Chase home was another story... Presley was aweful for several weeks! But, things did get better and now she loves him to death - literally, I have to make her stop! It will be an adjustment, but you'll get through it. One thing that helped me the most was keeping Presley busy with grandparents, aunts and friends. That way you can spend time with the baby one on one and parker will be doing something fun and won't be jealous of the two of you together. You'll need that time!

The Lane Family said...

I am just going to say a prayer you will have an easy transition like we did. We were very fortunate. One thing I would suggest would be to not treat the baby as so "fragile" that Parker is scared to touch him.We asked him to help us out as much as possible with feeding him,changing him, etc...and he loved that. I am sure you won't be w/o help as far as Park is concerned once Kennedy arrives and he will probably want to spend a lot of time with other family b/c they will make it all about him, however I would make it clear to him that ya'll want him home as much as he wants to be home. That also helps your routine from getting totally out of whack as far as he is concerned. Lastly and I will hush, but as a mom, it is easy to get in the habit of you taking care of the newborn while Dad takes care of the toddler and that is fine, but try to make an effort to still do things as usual such as putting Parker to bed if you normally do, playing a game with him, etc... You guys will be just fine!

Jaime said...

When we had Lillie I had her at 5pm so we decided not to have Evan come to the see us since it would be so late. He also was only 19 months and really had zero clue what was going on!! He did come first thing the next morning to meet his new sister! One thing that we did was have a present there waiting for him and told him it was from Lillie. (What kid doesn't like a new toy!!) So that made him happy. He really didn't have any issues with me holding her but was just very curious about her. My parents and brother were also good not to make such a big deal out of Lillie. They all loved loving on her but made sure that Evan always got lots of attention and play time with them.

Good luck with the new baby! I am sure it will be an easy adjustment for him!